Page: All About Me
Everything You Need To Know
Hello, I’m a web developer and internet specialist based in
sunny rainy Lancashire in the North West of England among the rolling West Pennine moors, where you’re likely to find me out on two wheels when not working.
An open source enthusiast and web generalist, I’m equally passionate about trends in web technologies – development, design, typography, and web standards. It’s a fast moving arena.
What is in my skillset?
I also have past experience in Unix Administration & Shell, development with C, and early ASP programming (eugh!). I have used a lot of web technologies over the years. However, I would consider as my primary skills:
- PHP: Involved with PHP since early PHP4, OOP and pattern-based development, PHP CLI, API development.
- MySQL: Database Administration and Database Development.
- Linux: System administration, with strong knowledge of the *nix file system & shell.
- Dev: Good understanding of XML, JSON, AJAX, cURL, REST API, and data mining.
- HTML & CSS: Responsive Design, HTML5 & CSS3, Bootstrap.
I’m also very familiar with many of the popular PHP open source products, platforms, and frameworks: WordPress, OpenCart, and MVC tools such as Codeigniter.
Continual development is important. Self-taught in web development, I’m still eager to keep up latest advancements in web technologies and learn new skills. Things I’m tinkering with at the moment, and adding to the toolkit:
- Zurb Foundation
- MongoDB & NoSQL databases
- Nginx & Varnish
- OpenStack & Linux cloud architecture
- PHP Namespaces in WordPress plugin frameworks
- PHP MVC frameworks: Lavarel, Symfony, Codeigniter
From a science background I have strong problem solving skills, and the ability to work independently or as part of a team.
When not involved in client work I’m busy developing my own projects and online enterprises. I am an accredited UK registrar and active member of Nominet – who run the .uk namespace – for over 10 years.
What do I like?
An avid cyclist, former racing cyclist, bike racing enthusiast, and general all-round sports fan. Dabble these days in Triathlon, including Ironman. Enjoy the gym. It’s a lifestyle thing, even though it doesn’t get any easier!
Love a good brew. Biscuitaholic. There’s always time for cake.
I am available for one-off projects, short or long-term contracts to supplement your team and add experience / take on project overflow, or full-time positions. I have an office at home where I normally work from, though can work remotely and/or on-site when required.